This coastal "device fort" was built by Henry VIII in 1539 to defend the Portland's
natural anchorage, known as the 'Portland Roads'. The castle is situated in the far
north of Portland in a village now called Castletown. The castle is run by English
Heritage who "exist to protect and promote England's spectacular historic environment
and ensure that its past is researched and understood".
The castle was built to provide protection against any invading forces landing in
the vulnerable harbour, jointly with Sandsfoot Castle. Historically it has played
a role in repelling the Spanish Armada, other encounters with the Spanish Fleet,
the English Civil War and the Anglo-Dutch war.
The naval Battle Of Portland took place 28th February - 2nd March 1653 during the
Gardens:- The 'Governor's Garden' was designed by Christopher Bradley-Hole and contains
an impressive circular amphitheatre made from local Portland stone. Seating for around